Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:21:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
132 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 148
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 132
Total: 132

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Yet another Sim

Started by jskibo, September 21, 2019, 12:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jskibo

Trying to balance two projects at once is fun.

I'm still collecting parts for a 737 Max build but started another project as well.

Ten years ago when I worked at Boeing building an F-16 would have be sacrilege, but since I cover the middle East for GE Engines I guess it's OK now. I have access to Block 30 / 40 / 50 and 60 with my customers....Just wish I could raid the spares bin

Not sure what block I'll end up building, likely a 50 or MLU.

I plan on going with the Pegasus steel pit eventually but wanted to be able to fly and build to keep motivation up unlike my last 737 with months of wiring and little flying.

I have the CP now and built up the MFD mounts with 7" screens. Pretty neat mount kit made by a guy at Viperpits. I managed to source an unused one.  MFD rings are the TM ones until I can find some real ones.

I have the ICP but need to source a HUD box. I ordered all the parts to make a DED and Fuel Flow indicator.

Plan on buying a RWR / TWD from a guy that designed one.

That should give me enough to have some fun in Falcon BMS until I can source the rest of it.

I'll likely end up buying a CNC router and making my own panels later.

System will be Pokeys based except the DED / FFI which will run DEDuino.
Less than 4 years to retirement......

Trevor Hale

Is that ever freeking cool. Nicely done your going to have fun that way you can switch up when your bored.

Keep us posted.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

blueskydriver

Hey John,

Did you see the F16 items Karen and I are selling?

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

blueskydriver

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

jskibo

Quote from: blueskydriver on September 21, 2019, 03:02:39 PM
Hey John,

Did you see the F16 items Karen and I are selling?

John

John

Yes.  I have a copy of the wood / MDF plans. I was going to run them through a local CNC shop and had the quote all done, until I saw Martins all metal ones over at VP. Now i'm Going with those.  I'll still likely run the Brenda ACES II plans through that CNC shop though.  Have all the other gear, including both Warthog and a FCC modified Cougar.

Thanks though

blueskydriver

Yep, I understand, the metal ones do have appeal...

Not sure if you read that older ad, but it also includes a Thrustmaster stick and throttle, along with a set of Thrustmaster MFD's. Plus, a real F16 cushion.

If you know of anyone else who may be interested, please let me know. I would delivery it to Florence, KY for free since all my family lives in Fort Thomas, KY. Thus, I'd be driving right past Florence via the I-275 loop...

John

jskibo

Quote from: blueskydriver on September 21, 2019, 03:20:24 PM
Yep, I understand, the metal ones do have appeal...

Not sure if you read that older ad, but it also includes a Thrustmaster stick and throttle, along with a set of Thrustmaster MFD's. Plus, a real F16 cushion.

If you know of anyone else who may be interested, please let me know. I would delivery it to Florence, KY for free since all my family lives in Fort Thomas, KY. Thus, I'd be driving right past Florence via the I-275 loop...

John

Ft Thomas very close, unless it's rush hour :)

You try posting on Benchmarksims and Viperpits yet?

blueskydriver

LOL, I hear you about rush hour...OMG! I-71, I-75, I-275 and I-471 are  all the worst for traffic; especially, coming down the I-75 northbound hill before the bridge!

I haven't posted to either of those sites, but I will now...thank you for telling me.

John

jskibo

John's F16 tub found a new home. This should speed up construction.

Trevor Hale

Quote from: jskibo on October 02, 2019, 04:28:27 PMJohn's F16 tub found a new home. This should speed up construction.
Pretty sure it was pink the last time I saw this LOL!

And I want to know what you do with the Blow Up Microphone in the back?  Karaoke?
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

jskibo

Quote from: Trevor Hale on October 02, 2019, 04:41:13 PM
Quote from: jskibo on October 02, 2019, 04:28:27 PMJohn's F16 tub found a new home. This should speed up construction.

And I want to know what you do with the Blow Up Microphone in the back?  Karaoke?

Drunk karaoke.

I didn't think I could pull off the pink.   

Trevor Hale

Quote from: jskibo on October 02, 2019, 05:22:17 PM
Quote from: Trevor Hale on October 02, 2019, 04:41:13 PM

Drunk karaoke.

I didn't think I could pull off the pink. 

It wasn't Pink...  It was Salmon. :)  And you totally could pull it off :)
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

jskibo

And now it's Fed Std Dark Gull Gray

Still not fun with an HVLP gun

RayS

Hey John,

I've had these MFDs laying around for years and won't be needing them.

Want them? I can bring them with me to WF...

Ray Sotkiewicz

blueskydriver

Hey Ray,

Yes, bring them for John, he'll need them... 😀

blueskydriver

Hey John,

OMG! That paint job looks great!

Amazing you did all of that in less then a week, just imagine where you'll be in a month from now...

Oh yeah, pm me your dropbox or other transfer location for the FSX F16 add-on.

John

PS Karen says thank you for buying her F16, as she just purchased that amount in Lego sets...yes Lego sets!

jskibo

Lots of hardware collecting left to do.  I have the Left and right Consoles coming this week but a ton of Lightplates left to buy and wire with switches and LEDs.  Finding the right material to skin the sidewalls too, though can't skin left until I get the throttle installed.

Multi year project but getting to flying stage is important, then cold and dark start phase, then nice to have stuff.

Thank you @RayS the MFDs would be great.  Already have the LCDs mounted in holders to make them functional

That's quite a bit of Legos John, did she get an F16 one? :)  I used to have a 787 one

jskibo

More progress on the stocking up build supplies front.

Found and ordered the following:

Forward and Aft Glareshield
Master Caution button
Left and right glare eyebrow indicator boxes
F-ACK module for right glare
Bezels for Center pedestal
10" LCD for center pedestal
Elec, Jet start, Misc panel, ECM panels
RWR lens and Bezel
Several Ex-British Tornado boxes to Harvest Jay El lighted switches from
Landing Gear panel

Side Consoles arrived.  Looks like I have to relocate (Move) ribs on the left side.

Many days of fun ahead

jskibo

Started work on improving the visuals.

This is a 6ft radius, 220 degree. I'm going with a gray screen, 3 optoma gt1080 darbee PJs and warping with Fly Elise.

Created an arc tool then cut a template. There are 8 sections each 35 inches.

FredK

That is pretty much how I did mine.....

I used 1/8" Masonite for the screen surface that I screwed (and glued) into the standards.  However to get the curvature uniform I spaced the standards much closer than what you show. Filled the seams with filler + sanding. Then a couple of coats of primer followed by a couple of coats of "Paint-On-Screen".  That product has a granular silver reflective aggregate. I used a medium shade of grey which helps with the night flying overlap appearance. I rolled the paint on (but you can only work in a horizontal direction of course).  It did come out perfectly smooth.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

jskibo

Quote from: FredK on October 12, 2019, 01:37:16 PMThat is pretty much how I did mine.....

I used 1/8" Masonite for the screen surface that I screwed (and glued) into the standards.  However to get the curvature uniform I spaced the standards much closer than what you show. Filled the seams with filler + sanding. Then a couple of coats of primer followed by a couple of coats of "Paint-On-Screen".  That product has a granular silver reflective aggregate. I used a medium shade of grey which helps with the night flying overlap appearance. I rolled the paint on (but you can only work in a horizontal direction of course).  It did come out perfectly smooth.

Fred K

I left a bit more spacing as I'm stretching a Carl's place Flex gray screen and stapling on some furring strips I still need to install.  Ordered a 24' x 86" that arrived today. 

blueskydriver

John did you get the screen with grommets and bungees? If not, how will you attach your screen to the wood?

John

jskibo

Furring strips will be mounted and screen stapled to it

jskibo

Screen started

jskibo

I have to try to keep up with arriving parts.

Yesterday I received the aft glareshields and front kick plate for the ACES seat.  Forward Glareshields should arrive next week.

Most of the panels for the left avionics console arrived, but I need to source switches and build them up.

I'll get pictures up soon

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate