Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 08:24:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
101 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,638
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 101
Total: 101

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

NCL Proposal

Started by dougsnow, September 05, 2016, 05:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougsnow

All

One of the things were talking about in fleet management meetings I'm in at work is the concept of a QRC - Quick Reference Checklist. In almost all cases, our checklist cards are blank on the other side - so the thoughts are to put immediate action items on the back of the normal procedures checklist like some other airlines do. So, instead of a pilot having to memorize the immediate action items for loss of all generators, its right there on the QRC.

So in one meeting I started thinking, what could that look like for us? 

The dropbox is what I came up with... (slight modification from the original)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1yggxllqbifwrq/NEW%20738%20CHKLST.pdf?dl=0

Thoughts?  This is only a sandpaper rough draft.

FredK

Doug -

Good idea and good check list!

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Trevor Hale

Love the look of that Doug,

Nice :)
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Sam Llorca

Great idea Doug!!

Looks awesome.

navymustang

Doug, this would be a great addition to my cockpit.
Jim
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

RayS

This very topic is something I've often wondered about.

When seconds matter, I'm certain the flight crew is rapidly evaluating the situation and reacting accordingly. Probably the last thing on their minds is pulling out the correct checklist. (Real-World pilots please correct me as I'm only speculating here)

I would imagine that once the aircraft/situation is stabilized (assuming their dire situation *can* be stabilized) do they crack out the checklists.

For those of us less polished in the art of in-flight emergencies, this will be a great addition. Thanks, Doug!
Ray Sotkiewicz

FredK

I had the opportunity once to sit in the jump seat during an annual FAA recertification for a couple of pilots in a Dassault Falcon simulator.

On takeoff the right engine exploded.  The pilot calmly announced he had control of the aircraft.  The FO immediately brought up an emergency checklist on one of the displays and proceeded to execute the items on the tick list.  The emergency was resolved quickly.

The impression I was left with was that there was not two individuals running around with their heads cut off in chaos.  One pilot concentrated only on flying the plane, and the other focused only on following the checklist procedure.  I was also impressed regarding how well the Falcon survived the incident enhancing my impression regarding the safety of modern aviation.

Now....this was in a simulator....and it was an FAA check flight.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Trevor Hale

Always nice to have that third engine when you loose one isn't it, :)
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

dougsnow

One pilot always flies the airplane - the PF. The PM handles checklists and radios. In the Sully trailer, the second the birds hit the engines, you see Tom Hanks call "my airplane" as the FO was pilot flying (and just off IOE I think), and the F/O immediately goes for the 3 page dual engine failure checklist for the A320 (yes, 3-page checklist) and starts to work it. Positive transfer of control of the airplane. Thats how it goes. Very matter of fact, act and react. I've been in one cockpit jumpseat oh shit - a rejected takeoff just prior to V1 in an ATR42 SJU-SDQ a few weeks after 9/11. You don't start grabbing for crap, and you confirm with the other guy everything you do, especially if its a switch that can kill you (like the engine start levers) - many crews have shut off the good engine when the bad engine let go (the recent ATR in Taiwan that happened) because they rushed.

In my preflight brief for any legs I'll fly, I'll brief "After 80 kts (entering the high speed regime) we'll reject for any of the 4Fs, fire, flag, failure, or it just isnt going to fly. After V1 we take the problem into the air, I'll fly the airplane you fix and talk, emergency return is back to here for runway so and so." I'll brief the engine out if its a simple one, or I built it in the FMS in the inactive route if its more complex.

This WF I entered all the real world engine out SIDS for all the airports we're doing into TOPCAT, so all the airports will have an EOSID that will keep you away from terrain up to 3000 AGL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENz2vKRwIks

FredK

So....Just for a goof......

Maybe we ought to select one WF segment at random and program it for an engine failure on takeoff.  The lucky winners would then be able to test their emergency ops skill based on Doug's check list and coaching!

Just think...In the wake of the Sully movie that would add some excitement for any viewers watching on the webcam....gotta be worth a few extra bucks in donations I think!

Fred K

Trevor Hale

Quote from: FredK on September 08, 2016, 01:56:12 PM

Maybe we ought to select one WF segment at random and program it for an engine failure on takeoff.  The lucky winners would then be able to test their emergency ops skill based on Doug's check list and coaching!

Just think...In the wake of the Sully movie that would add some excitement for any viewers watching on the webcam....gotta be worth a few extra bucks in donations I think!

Fred K

It would be good for a laugh anyway lol.
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

RayS

Make it real interesting!

Randon failure(s) any time during the leg....
Ray Sotkiewicz

KyleH

Interesting idea. I don't know if we actually need this for WorldFlight, but it would be good for those wanting to practice. Do other teams have failures enabled? In our past experience, the sim itself throws up enough curve-balls to keep us on our toes without us introducing anything intentional.

Doug, if we are going to use this for WF, please change the Normal Checklist portion to be the same as the one we were using last year. We need to have consistency year to year at this point and do not need to be changing the procedures yet.

If you want to help out with some of the procedural stuff, we could use safety/departure/arrival briefing scrips/outlines done up. 

Quote from: FredK on September 08, 2016, 01:56:12 PM

Fred K

While this could be fun, and I'd enjoy taking part in it we'd have to consider the segment very carefully. We don't want to intentionally scrap a leg(that's ultimately what would happen), if one of the crew members was wanting to fly that particular route, or approach into a certain airport.
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA

FredK

Kyle -

For the most part I proposed this in jest...At the very least it would have to be cleared with WF in advance as well as with the ATC controllers for the particular airport.  But these guys have enough on their hands dealing with the volume of planes for this event.

At the first WF event we did I was flying a leg where we had an unexpected shutdown of both engines at flight level.  I forget who was in the cockpit with me but we decided to handle it as a real emergency.  So we radioed ATC to identify and provide vectors to the nearest airport for an attempted glide-in.  However we were able to get the engines restarted....So we cancelled the emergency and went on our merry way....We did give all the passengers free drinks for the rest of the flight though.

Fred K

Sam Llorca

I agree with Kyle, we don't need to change any procedure or add any delays to an already tight schedule, that would be good for flight training not for WF.

Cheers!

dougsnow

I wont be able to any time soon due to travel requirements for work. I'm buried with teaching a part of our recurrent training cycle, helping write and vet the latest version of our Flight Ops Manual which closes when I am in Tokyo, and I have a shitload of travel coming up:

23-25 Sep // Indiana for a wedding
28Sep-08Oct // SE Asia for annual Route Qual (Tokyo, Hong Kong, Saigon, Bangkok - 48 flight hours in the B777F cockpit jumpseat)
12-14 Oct // NY Oceanic Work Group
18-21 Oct // Seattle Master MEL Work Group

Plus on the 22nd and the 29th of Oct I have two PC Warmups as I have my PC in November after WF. Also, I am staying in SRQ til Tuesday after WF as I fly to DC for yet another FAA Meeting after WF.  The weekend of Sep 17 I am doing all the routes and getting them to Scanno in SYD for distribution for all the teams.

I'm looking forward to WF to relax.

KyleH

No worries Doug. Something to look at for next year.
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA

727737Nut

Question Doug,  /A even going to be allowed in WF16?  I heard Vatsim is GPS or LNAV VNAV only now?
737 Junkie

KyleH

Thanks Doug. I'll see if I can get it laminated.

Quote from: 727737Nut on September 21, 2016, 07:12:43 AM
Question Doug,  /A even going to be allowed in WF16?  I heard Vatsim is GPS or LNAV VNAV only now?

Are you serious? WTH is the point in that?
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA

dougsnow

Quote from: 727737Nut on September 21, 2016, 07:12:43 AM

We'd have to tweak some of the terminal procedures because official routes may be RNAV only, but that can be done at dispatch.  The oceanic segments if you have at least inertial are RNP10 (which most inertial boxes can do) are doable. I used to dispatch our B727 and it was slant ancient but we still flew it to Hawaii - we installed a portable GPS. If all you have are VORs, hopefully you can fly dead reckoning :)

The segment from KOA-SEA is about at the ragged edge of range of a 732, but it is doable if you follow the zero fuel weight and cruise speed closely. In one of the other posts I provide a link to what I'd need to create your airplane in the flight planning system - get that to me soon. Once I leave next week for Tokyo my head is on a swivel with work travel and catching up till WF. We have almost all performance for a Boeing North airplane - so tell me what you have. I'm using a professional version of PFPX with a lot more capability than PFPX, can model tankering, point of no return (not really usable this year - but next trip through FHAW or SCIP...). One South Pacific airline flying the 737 just signed the contract... so the burns should be accurate..

Sam Llorca

Hello guys, I already have a laminated copy on site if needed.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate