Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 08:53:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
97 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,638
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 97
Total: 97

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

What have you done for your simulator today?

Started by blueskydriver, January 14, 2018, 04:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

WOW JACK! That puppy looks so nice, glad you got it setup Plus, it's awesome still seeing you tearing OEM things apart...post a video once it's up and running.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

Update for my sim, I pulled out the SimKits USBGauge that's been working for 10 years. The servo sort of went bad...it was moving, but inaccurately; good thing I had another HiTec HS-311 Servo on the shelf...lucky me...lol!

Only issue I had was re-installing it, since you really need 2 people, one to hold and one to insert the screws. However, got it in with a clamp and some patience; well, the patience only came after a dozen curse words from dropping it beforehand. Good thing I didn't break it right after just tearing it a part; maybe, I just got lucky again.

What's that saying "good or bad luck comes in 3's" Hopefully, that's the case for me tonight with having the right servo and being clumsy by dropping the thing without breaking it. Whatever the 3rd luck item will be, I'll happily take it. Offsets all those bad Gremlin nights throughout the years...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

RayS

A cautionary tale: installing MSFS2020 on a system with FlyElise warping software.

I have Microsoft updates completely disabled so my copy was still on v1809.

To install from the Microsoft store I had to update windows.

Lovely....

After getting all the latest updates installed I discovered that the Warping software was now inop, requiring an update to FlyElise as well.

My copy was an older copy (if it works, don't fix it!)

I was well beyond the support terms for an update to the warping software so I had to renew it to the tune of $251.00 US.

It took a few hours to exhaust my supply of swear words which is a difficult task in itself; having served in the Marines I have quite an extensive vocabulary.

Sometimes I forget that this is an expensive hobby.
Ray Sotkiewicz

ame

Quote from: RayS on August 29, 2020, 05:05:19 PMSometimes I forget that this is an expensive hobby. Microsoft will (stitch you up like a kipper) every. single. time.

bernard S

I am only going to add my 2 cents once . why is it mostly everybody is so fixated on 2020  .... its no where near ready for flightdeck builders simple as that yet people moan trying to fit a square peg in round hole !!!   12 mths my thumb suck   if you have to have it then large lcd single desktop play unit....thats my 2 cents spent..lol   

Trevor Hale

Quote from: RayS on August 29, 2020, 05:05:19 PMA cautionary tale: installing MSFS2020 on a system with FlyElise warping software.

I have Microsoft updates completely disabled so my copy was still on v1809.

To install from the Microsoft store I had to update windows.

Lovely....

After getting all the latest updates installed I discovered that the Warping software was now inop, requiring an update to FlyElise as well.

My copy was an older copy (if it works, don't fix it!)

I was well beyond the support terms for an update to the warping software so I had to renew it to the tune of $251.00 US.

It took a few hours to exhaust my supply of swear words which is a difficult task in itself; having served in the Marines I have quite an extensive vocabulary.

Sometimes I forget that this is an expensive hobby.
I bought it on Steam, for that reason. Microsoft wanted strange things to be able to install it.  So got a refund, and went to the steam version. Still needed 1909 windows though, wasn't that bad.  but least your windows is up to date an your warping software LOL.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Joe Lavery

I think it's going to happen sooner than you think Bernard. They've announced an update within seven days that will fix the issue with Simconnect stealing frame rates.
Which means that Trevor will have it running his deck within a week.
That's just my 2 Cents.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

ame

So, what have I done for my simulator* today?

I decided to build a CNC router so that I could cut parts from MDF and acrylic. This is complementary to 3D printing, and probably, but not always, better than cutting things by hand.
IMG_20200831_124118.jpg
I started making it about 2 years ago, but the project stalled. In the last few weeks I got back to it and got it working. It still needs a bit of tweaking, but it works. Attached is a picture of the machine, which has an almost 200x200mm work area, and a picture of a piece I cut with it. The cut piece is the front panel for the Davtron MB800 chronometer for a Beechcraft King Air.
IMG_20200831_124216.jpg
The machine is driven by grbl running on an Arduino, so it can accept G-code directly. It uses a cheap rotary tool with 3.2mm (1/8") shank bits.

Generally my workflow is:
idea -> QCAD -> DXF2GCODE -> bCNC -> result

Not only is the software Free and Open Source, but the machine itself was based on a Free design called CNC v0.6 by Homofaciens.
https://www.homofaciens.de/technics-machines-cnc-v0-6_en.htm

* I'm not a simulator builder, I just like making things.

kattz

RayS

Quote from: bernard S on August 30, 2020, 11:32:44 AMwhy is it mostly everybody is so fixated on 2020  .... its no where near ready for flightdeck

Possibly.

However, It installed perfectly on my 3-projector setup. Frame rates suck but I haven't tried it after the latest update.

The biggest factor I'm looking at now is that I'm anticipating 6 months to a year to totally convert from X-Plane to MSFS2020. My sim has 20 microcontrollers all tied to an X-Plane API through USB and they work quite nicely.

Moving to a new API architecture is a challenge and I don't want to get halfway through a conversion only to discover it could be done better with a different architecture.
Ray Sotkiewicz

jackpilot

Fire Panel continued
Testing Korrys retrofitted with LED bulbs.
Leds driven by FDS card. no resistors straight plug in

Jack

blueskydriver

RayS

Over the long weekend I did some initial testing on MSFS2020...

Overall I'm happy with the first release, considering there's still a lot of it not working.

What I hope they fix:

1. Way too much light bloom at night. On a 3 projector screen, this has the effect of everything being out of focus. It's a little nauseating. Note: You can turn this off but it has no effect. I hope they give us a bit more granular control over light bloom.

2. Rudder control is WAY overdone.

3. Controls are not smooth at all. Tried at different graphics settings but the result is that the plane tends to bounce around too much. Small corrections lead to big movements.

4. Visuals: There's no "Lateral Offset" setting. You can change viewpoints and pilot views but without the lateral offset you will crab endlessly close to the ground.

Granted, this is all magnified across 3 projectors, but compared to X-Plane, 2020 is way too jerky.

I'm not sure what the future of X-Plane looks like, but as I convert my sim over to 2020, I am making sure I can easily switch between sim platforms.

Ray Sotkiewicz

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

Looks like some of you have been busy and with Fall on the horizon, I am sure we'll have more time to work on our sims.

Speaking of which, spent the whole day yesterday redoing my NTHUSIM settings (yep, still using version 3.0 because it works just fine). Decided to realign everything with a Johnson's self leveling Laser Level and what a huge difference it made. After doing all the vertical and horizontal alignment lines, I discovered that I never did the vertical lines very well before.

In other words, what I thought was vertical or plum before was not that at all. However, I can only summarize that it's due to my new screen configuration. I know that sounds funny since I am using the same screen, but how it's attached now is different and it helps me see things better, as weird as that sounds. Anyway, everything seems so much better...

Finally, did you see my post on USB Code 43 errors? Yeah, I just finished getting everything I mentioned above done and BAM! Code 43 errors on 2 PC's.  :o

John

jskibo

Looks like my COM2 and GFC600 Autopilot shipped so I can finish my radio stack.

84E1C33B-4697-48F1-A66E-1DC5925F6204.jpeg
Less than 4 years to retirement......

LORENZO

Greetings

Finally got the lights on and connected
with interface cards working
no seperate pc to run the gauges ( on order )

https://www.inside-tech.co.uk/fanless-quad-core-intel-mini-pc-dual-display#product-options-wrapper

I will let you know how it shapes up

no pc to run MS FS2020 yet
saving up for That bad boy

but having fun building

helloo

An accessory for the sim.  Water bottle and a coffee tumbler I made.  Less risk of a spill now lol.  20200919_210045_resized_1.jpg20200919_210157_resized.jpg

Trevor Hale

New Milestone with MSFS 2020.  Manual Engine Start is Fixed, and so are the Generators.  This is a MAJOR accomplishment.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

RayS

A close friend had a bunch of inop  gauges from <Insert company name here> laying around so I put together a retro-fit kit designed to be driven by any micro-controller....

They turned out well!
Ray Sotkiewicz

blueskydriver

Hey Guys,

There is so much nice working going on and I'm glad too see you're still posting here...thank you 😁

Regarding my sim, finally got a full flight in and on VATSIM. Only took 5 years...lol! Still got more to do with rebuilding yet, like install the new start switches, steering tiller, compass and more...

Also, I've gotten back to my CNC machine and started doing more with it. Eventually, going to try and make some parts for myself, but it might be another 5 years...ROTFLOL!

John

Trooping

Hey Guys,

The CRJ sim has come along since my last post.  I would say around 80% finished.  Radios remain a bit of problem as there is no 2D popout of the RTU, but I can still tune through the FMS.  Lots of little tweaks etc to do, but its flyable now.  Version 2.0 is going to be a complete rework of the LED lights on my fake "korrys" using mobiflight, but for now just going to enjoy flying for a bit.

jackpilot

Superb cockpit but why do you use the cockpit view and not just the plain outside view ?

Jack

Trooping

Hi Jack,  I do use the outside view, I was just changing settings in the pics

kattz

Today... I paid for the FDS shell and interior kit, fire panels, O2 panels, all of the radios/comms/radar, and some items for the NG-ADV that I was missing. Oh, and $890 for shipping.

It's official.  I'm too broke now to pay attention.

RayS

Been doing some flying instead of building...
Just a short departure out of Vegas, and a 180 to fly back down the strip before heading home.

Ray Sotkiewicz

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate