Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 02:02:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
51 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,638
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 65
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 51
Total: 51

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

What TV size

Started by kurt-olsson, October 27, 2020, 01:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt-olsson

Time to get my first of three TV monitors i will use in my sim.

Maybe bigger is better, but i wonder if 60 inch, or 65 inch is more than enough?

I might get a 75" tv but they are biiiiig.

If i can get away with smaller i would like that option.

Any inputs from anyone using 60",65" tvs?

jskibo

Lots of 70's lately at $500.  Target had LG, Best buy has had a mix of Hisense, TCL, Vizio and Inignia 70" ones at $499 over the last few weeks.  Had a samsung at $530 a month ago

I used 60" plasmas 8 years ago and wish I would have gone a tad larger.  on the 737 that is.

In the triple combat setup I ran 40s and 43s before (43s being 4k)

Then again I guess not US based...oops
Less than 4 years to retirement......

n4208t

I got three 55 inch 4K's from Walmart for $299 each ... delivered.

kurt-olsson

Tvs are cheap in America! :)

Ok, i think i am looking at 65" right now. Three 65" should make a great view Nd not show anything of the walls behind them.

bernard S

big bigger and biggest :-)

AAnnillo

I have an Insignia 65" and really like it.  Got mine from Best Buy maybe 4 years ago.
I'm not sure of the Hz on it....maybe 90?  Maybe 60?
Every once in a while, I'll be reminded of a low Hz rate because the screen will become a little pixelated here and there but only when watching TV via my cable provider and don't know why.  It's hooked-up via an HDMI cable.

I don't know to what effect, if any, a set-up with a simulator would be or if this pixelation would be exacerbated with 2 or more screens.

This is something I will need to keep in mind down-the-road during my flight simulator construction and experiences.

Anthony

helloo

TCL brand has 75" 4k on sale for $499.  I have three of them.  I would not go lower than 75"

sagrada737

When I first began my 737 Sim Project, I setup three (3) 70" LCD VIZIO monitors.  That was about four years ago.  I used NVIDIA Surround to view the displays, with Bezel Correction.  As I recall, the display was stretched at the left and right extremes.  At that time, my Sim was static, and these monitors were simply setup on a stand.  They were easy to move around, and the display quality was great.  I since changed over to projection display...

These days, the price point of large LCD projectors is very low.  The size of the monitors is somewhat subjective, but I think that a 65" or a 70" is good, as it gives you a "wrap-around effect".  Also, the bezels on today's monitors are very thin, so the monitor-to-monitor blending with bezel correction will almost make it seem seamless.

I'm not sure that 4K is that important, as standard HD resolution is more than adequate.  If you go to 4K, then you introduce other issues -- the most significant of which is the capability of the Graphics Card.  Cost is another factor when going to 4K resolution.

Anyway...  Best wishes with your monitor selection.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

jskibo

Mike the only tough part of not going 4k is finding large format monitor (TVs really) that are 1080P.  There really aren't any / any in an attractive price point. 

You can either run it at Non-Native resolution (might be some blurriness), or let the TV upscale a 1080 input if its scaler is good enough.

Less than 4 years to retirement......

kurt-olsson

I think i will go for three 70" Tvs led. I am worried that the angles of having only three tvs will be so sharp that you loose the "dome" feeling.

Guess i will find out when i get to that point.

sagrada737

I think going with the 70" TVs is a good decision.   Don't worry about the viewing angles, it will be just fine.   That said, pick a TV model that has reasonable viewing angles (not all of them do).  Also, and perhaps more important, is to select a TV that has a small Bezel frame.  This will let you move the TVs close together for a better viewing effect.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

kurt-olsson

Thanks Mike, will go for three 70" leds. Starting with one this christmas i hope.

helloo

Just to clarify why I said 75".  When I sit in the cockpit not moving around, my three 75" TVs provide complete coverage.  I do not see anything except the TVs.  I feel any smaller, at least for the front TV, I would see some of the walls behind the TV.  My 75" barely gives me solid coverage out front.  85" would have been perfect lol. 

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate