Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 09:26:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
713 Guests, 1 User
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 713
Total: 714

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

FDS 737 shell exterior dimensions ?

Started by Nick1150, October 19, 2011, 12:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick1150

Hi to all,

I am expecting my dual linked yokes from ACE soon, so I have to build a new cockpit base for my project to host my new yokes, since my cockpit base was designed for CH yoke columns Initially.

My intentions are to build a base in such a way to host also my next purchase (after the yokes) which most probably will be an FDS 737 nose section. So I was seeking for the external dimensions of the nose sections in order to proceed.

So FDS owners please feel free to fill in the gaps in the following picture,

Thank you in advance,

Nick
Nick

Boeing 737 NG home cockpit builder in Athens, Greece

jackpilot

Jack

Nick1150

Thanks Jack,

I was thinking of building a base just enough to accomodate the shell, and not in a rectangular form, like Ivar's for instance:

So I have the forward and aft dimensions but I need the side dimensions to finish my drawing.

Thanks

Nick
Nick

jackpilot

As long as you see any advantage to build an odd shape go for it.
A square plateform is super easy to build though and will save you some energy for other hurdles! :laugh:

Jack

dharrison

Best bet is to contact FDS directly. They will be able to supply all you need.

Don

Nick1150

This is an answer from another thread...

Hi Nick (Flying fox),

My base is constructed in 5 pieces too, in order to fit the elevator my home. My cockpit is situated in the top floor (loft) of my home, so it was very important to build it in the basement-garage and lift the base one by one on the top floor:

Here are some pics:

As you see it is constructed in 5 parts, and here are the exact dimensions, which were given to me by another fellow in this forum when I ordered my shell from FDS:

Just measured the following, please excuse me for metric system:

From the front of FDS shell to the end of MIP (the edge of the light panels sticking out of the MIP bottom)... 69.8 cms
From the front of FDS shell to the center of the yoke column... 96.3 cms
From the front of FDS shell to the back end of the throttle "column" ... 124.6 cms
From the front of FDS shell to the front edge of the pedestal (past the fire handles unit)... 133.4 cms
What is the exact length/width of your throttle column?... It's a RSP throttle Pro 48.5x 24.5 cms. The 48.5 is from the pedestal bay, which I assume interests you more than the real dimensions of the TQ base. The exact TQ column is 39.5 x 24.5 but it leaves space from the pedestal bay, thus creates the above measurement.
From the back end of FDS shell to the backend of pedestal... 33.7 cms
From the back end of FDS shell to the end of J-rails... 27.4 cms
From the video it looks like your base is exactly the size of FDS shell (244 x 213 cm) is that correct?... Correct see attached image above ;)

Hope that helps,

Nick
Nick

Flying_Fox

Thank you very much Nick! Just what I needed.
And metric system is my native.  :laugh:

Nick1150

Welcome Nick,

If you are stuck somewhere just drop me a line to measure again ;)
Nick

Flying_Fox

Hi Nick,

So, using your measurements I came up with this structure for the start. That will be from 2" x 6" lumber. The central block position can be adjusted to properly accommodate the throttle when I receive it. The top block under the MIP could actually be done as a single block, not in 2 parts.

For some verifications, could you measure the distances:

-From the front end of FDS shell to the front edge of the seat cushion, (for both seat movement positions - full forward and full back).

-The gap width between the side of the seat cushion and pedestal.
(I calculated it to be ~8cm. My seat cushion is 44 cm wide at front. Those measurements are just for rough orientation as you have Webers and I have IPECOs.)

Thanks again Nick!

Nick1150

Hello there,

Sorry I haven't seen your questions till I received your PM. Sorry for that  :-[

I will have to double check all measurements according to your drawing, and revert. Hopefully this afternoon.

Coming back soon

Nick
Nick

Nick1150

Hi Nick,

Here are the info requested:

-From the front end of FDS shell to the front edge of the seat cushion, (for both seat movement positions - full forward and full back).
Don't forget I have RSP J-rails, but anyway having the seat in the center position (full height) with the J-rail full aft it is 131.5 cms and full forward it is 107.6 cms.

-The gap width between the side of the seat cushion and pedestal.
(I calculated it to be ~8cm. My seat cushion is 44 cm wide at front. Those measurements are just for rough orientation as you have Webers and I have IPECOs.)
My seat cushion is 51 cms in the front and the gap is ~ 6.5 cms when J-rails are set on "flight mode".

Did several measurements in regards to your drawing and I must say that with a few mms we are almost identical in all aspects. So in my opinion you are in the right track ;)

Hope that helps,

Nick
Nick

Flying_Fox

Thank you Nick! This will help with arrangements. I already built the base - here is a couple of pictures.

Nick1150

Nick

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate