Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 11:04:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
719 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 719
Total: 719

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

It's always something - Wiring Pots to BU0836X

Started by usafgadget, November 21, 2010, 07:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usafgadget

Got leo's board rather quickly (4 days UK-US).  Wired some switches - no problem.

Tried to wire up a 10k pot.  Left and right stubs to 5v and ground.  Middle stub to input.  No luck.  Tried all the axis (X-RZ)...nothing.  Wired it up to the hat switch connections and the pot rotated the view so I know the pot works.

Any suggestions?  Am I doing something wrong?

I emailed Leo but I doubt I will get a response.
You can accelerate out of any problem.

Boeing Skunk Works

Did you use the software to tell the board you had hooked up a pot? IIRC you have to configure the inputs you are using for a pot.

I haven't had to do this in a long while so i could be mistaken.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

usafgadget

Thanks for the quick reply,

Isn't that for rotary encoders?  The BU0836X board has 8 analog inputs (3 connections for each; axis, 5v and ground) so that's where I hooked up the pot.

http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836X/

Boeing Skunk Works

Yep, you're right. My memory isn't what it used to be.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

NeoMorph

Well according to the diagram on Leo's site you only have to connect up the pots to the three connectors.

I know that is for another board but it's the same chip and the pots on his site are 10k ohms as well...

I'm hoping my board is on its way to me before Xmas so I will try the same at my end...
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

usafgadget

Yep that's what I did (see earlier posts).  Still no luck.  I've given up on Leo and his boards.  He doesn't support his customers (at least not me and a few others that I can tell from other forums) after the sale.  Emails aren't answered unless they're from PayPal and include money.

I'm now looking into FDS boards.

Chris

NeoMorph

I wish I had found this site before I ordered from Leo... Darn it!  :-[

Hmmm... Just found out that Leo posted mine this morning with next day delivery... with this weather though I will probably get it next week or the new year. I'm still waiting for a parcel that my sister sent me the beginning of last week... I HATE SNOW!

Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

Maurice

Quote from: usafgadget on December 20, 2010, 04:45:29 AM
Yep that's what I did (see earlier posts).  Still no luck.  I've given up on Leo and his boards.  He doesn't support his customers (at least not me and a few others that I can tell from other forums) after the sale.  Emails aren't answered unless they're from PayPal and include money.

I'm now looking into FDS boards.

Chris

Just a quick thought. Did you try plugging the USB cable into a powered USB hub instead of directly to a USB port on your PC? Long shot but could be that it needs more juice to operate properly.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

shaneb

Just another suggestion . . when I received my board I found that the connected switches would work but not the pots.  I went into FS and disabled the bodnar board under controller settings and it began working.  I later enabled the controller in FS and it still worked.  Maybe it will work for you.
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

usafgadget

Maurice and Shane,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I know for a fact that the board is plugged into a powered USB hub and I pretty sure I tried disabling it in FS, but I will go back and try again. 

Chris

shaneb

Hey Chris,

Sometimes it is the smallest things . . it will drive you crazy.   I like how your post starts out  " it's always something"   very similiar to my favorite saying " nothings ever easy"   of course I am usually saying this in a loud voice as something else goes wrong  . . I have learned not to throw anything after saying "nothings ever easy"  as I have found this to be counter-productive . . taking more time to fix whatever broke as the thrown object impacted something that actually worked prior to throwing the object in hand at a high velocity.     ;D
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

Maurice

Quote from: shaneb on December 22, 2010, 06:32:30 AM
Hey Chris,

Sometimes it is the smallest things . . it will drive you crazy.   I like how your post starts out  " it's always something"   very similiar to my favorite saying " nothings ever easy"   

I would like to add something re. the 'smallest things'. I have found on many occasions that the smallest things can cause the biggest problems. What you think would be very easy turns out to be a real nighmare and what you dreaded doing often turns out to be  easier than you thought. Building a simulator ranks high into the hierarchy of things that can drive you crazy.

Maurice

jackpilot

Oh Yes

Rule:

Never associate a timeframe and a task, period.

:laugh:

Jack

iwik

Hi Chris,
Have been into windows and selected the Bodnar card, then calibated it. I vaguely remember having my one not showing. After calibration all was fine. The card works well, have two working fine.
Hope this helps.
Les

ETomlin

Quote from: jackpilot on December 22, 2010, 12:39:55 PM
Oh Yes

Rule:

Never associate a timeframe and a task, period.

:laugh:

Very good Jack. Very good. I can relate to this very well.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

Bob Reed

Quote from: maurice on December 22, 2010, 11:25:40 AM
Hey Chris,

Sometimes it is the smallest things . . it will drive you crazy.   I like how your post starts out  " it's always something"   very similiar to my favorite saying " nothings ever easy"   

I would like to add something re. the 'smallest things'. I have found on many occasions that the smallest things can cause the biggest problems. What you think would be very easy turns out to be a real nighmare and what you dreaded doing often turns out to be  easier than you thought. Building a simulator ranks high into the hierarchy of things that can drive you crazy.

Maurice

Sorry Maurice.. Afraid I have to disagree with you a bit on tis one.... It's not "Things that "CAN" drive you crazy", it is "Things that "WILL" drive you crazy"!! LOL  :idiot:

Maurice

Quote from: Bob Reed on December 23, 2010, 08:43:19 AM
Quote from: maurice on December 22, 2010, 11:25:40 AM

Sorry Maurice.. Afraid I have to disagree with you a bit on tis one.... It's not "Things that "CAN" drive you crazy", it is "Things that "WILL" drive you crazy"!! LOL  :idiot:

I stand corrected  :laugh:

Maurice

NeoMorph

My board just arrived... Yay for Royal Mail heh.

Will try and run some tests later today if I have time... if not it will be Boxing Day.

NeoMorph

Well I just hooked up my board to Windows 7 and guess what... in the game config and test page there are no axis showing. The buttons and the HAT switch are showing but no pots. Not looking good atm... :(

NeoMorph

OK, I managed to find an old pot and hooked it up to the X axis on the interface. I then plugged the interface into the PC and VOILA... on the game controller page the X axis has now appeared and it available for calibration.

Seems that you need to connect the pot up and then connect the interface via the USB for the axis to appear.

iwik

NeoMorph,
Yes that is correct,a pot must be conected before it is seen. Designed this way by Leo.
Les

NeoMorph

At least it works.  8)

I wonder if usafgadget has managed to get his working now? Maybe if he has the wires wrong it's not showing up as a pot?

Joe Lavery

I don't know if it's any help but this is from Leo's website. I found it in my documents.

------------------------

Construction tips
•What to do with unused inputs?
?Unconnected buttons will appear as not pressed - just ignore them
?Unused analog inputs are automatically disabled. They will reappear as soon pots are connected and BU0836A is powered up. In other words, if they are not connected - you will not see them
•Which pots are the best?
?Any value from 1kOhm to 100kOhm will work fine. If you don't know where to start, get 10kOhm ones
?Use linear pots (taper B.) Avoid non-linear, log pots with tapers A, D or Y used in audio level controls
?Any pot will work but the best ones are industrial quality from Spectrol (Vishay) and Bourns. They have life expectancy of few million shaft revolutions. I keep a small stock - please email me for information.
?Good wiring helps! For ultimately clean signal don't share +5V and GND signals between pots. Connect each pot with its own set of three wires.
?If you can vary your mechanical construction try to use as much of pot travel range as possible.

--------------------------------------

A Merry Christmas and happy New Year to everyone BTW  :idiot:

Regards
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

NeoMorph

I've dug into my old junk electronics box and tried a variety of pots now... 13 in all and all but one worked fine and the one that didn't was because I think the track was dirty and wouldn't calibrate... but all registered as soon as the BU0836X was plugged in. I've also tried it on both Windows 7 and Windows XP (both up to date with patches).

My only thought is that usagadget is actually right and he has a defective BU0836X...

usafgadget

Sorry I haven't replied earlier.  I've been busy configuring my TQ thru FSUIPC and I guess I'm more of a visual guy.  The manual can be tough to digest sometimes.

I have on my short list of things to get done to try and get this pot issue resolved with the board.  I will follow the steps you guys have outlined again, perhaps in my frustration I overlooked something.

Chris

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate