Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

June 04, 2024, 01:48:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
162 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,642
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 171
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 162
Total: 162

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Polyclutch

Started by jackpilot, October 05, 2011, 06:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpilot

I sent this as a PM to a member here but I think it can be of interest to the "Crew".

The clutch has two parts held together but which can spin in any direction independantly.
The fins you see are mini disk brakes which can be set to a specific force by rotating the knurled ring so that both parts of the clutch are now forced to spin together in the same direction

If and when that force is exceeded.... the clutch slips.(disengages)
In other words the main role of that clutch is not  to transmit the rotation but to slip if an otherwise damaging force is applied to the receiving end

ex :one half shaft (M) goes to the motor, the other half shaft (P)to the part that the motor is supposed to drive ,ex: the power lever of the TQ
The clutch is in between, right?
When the clutch is tightened to a certain value the two parts of the clutch move together and the motor drives the P shaft, Until that value is exceeded when the pilot moves the lever in an opposite way or holds it in position.
The tightening value being exceeded ,  the cluch slips. The pilot has control but the motor is not damaged as it may continue to spin but turns only the M half shaft.
Can be applied to all sort of moving levers or rotational things
Used for instance in a drill mandrell so that if the bit gets caught by someting the drill body does not jump out of your hands.

http://www.polyclutch.com/polyclutch/mechanical-slip-clutches/
I ordered directly from the factory.

Jack

727737Nut

They are available in metric and standard sizes and are pretty small in size.  Can be used on Steering tiller, Flaps Handle, Spoiler (if not using a servo) Throttle levers, yoke and column, and rudder pedals.  They, like string pots, are invaluable to us sim builders!  FYI, you don't need as big of one as you think since we are not dealing with continuous rotation slipping.  Our application is something that should never wear these things out but they are rebuildable.

Rob
737 Junkie

kondrat

Just want to say thank you Jack and Rob for all information and support. I know you spent tons of time looking for these things and now sharing that with us.

Thanks again,

Denis
Boeing 777-200LR project
http://www.flikr.com/project777

iwik

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate