Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 22, 2024, 09:03:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
46 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 728
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 46
Total: 46

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Beamer : need your advice

Started by Themax, December 13, 2011, 02:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Themax

Hello,

I'm coming to you asking for some advice of you, surelly having more knowledge than me about this.

I'm currently with this setup :

But ! Adding my left screen is very cool, I love making turns and see everything from the left. The problem is I'm losing +- 20/30 frames with this configuration... Sometimes I'm flying with +- 20 frames where I should normally get 60 easily.

I was thinking of going to a beamer. This is actually what I think is good and bad about it, correct me if I'm wrong :

+ Bigger screen (that's a fact)
+ I heard it gives a better depth view, any ideas if this is true ? Do it makes flying more realistic and cooler.
+ No window border, my screen covers my whole cockpit window = more realistic
+ I can put my laptop on my left side like I was doing when I had no left screen : easy acces to flight plan, ivap, internet, etc

- No left view anymore
- I have a window just beside the place where I would set the projection screen, I'm angry this will cause bad image quality. I can make photos of the room if you want.
- I think I'll never get to the quality of a screen.

And some other small questions :

- What would a good beamer and projection screen cost ?
- I just got a new GTX560 with HDMI output, can a beamer use HDMI of just DVI ?
- What is the resolution that is used on such screens ?
- Will there be a big performance hit using a beamer compared to my 32" at 1360x768 resolution ?
- The lamp of a beamer doesn't go as long as a screen. Is maintenant difficult and/or expensive ?

I would like to hear any of your experience with beamers to make me a good idea about the thing and know what would be good in my situation.

Thank you,

Maxime.

Flying_Fox

Here are my 2 cents:

Projection screen is bigger for sure, however you will lose some image clarity and contrast compared to the flat panel. The immersion will be better, especially if you can go with the curved screen (room space permitting).
For using the projector you will need to darken your room and use some black curtain for the window.
If you use the single projector for the front view, you still could keep your left side screen.

You typically need the short throw projector. Projector cost is typically in $700 - $1000 range, in Europe prices could be different.
If you use single flat projection screen you could just paint the wall, so the cost would be low.
Most of the projectors have HDMI input as a standard now (+ other types of input).

The resolution depends on the projector, you could get full HD (1920x1080, more expensive projector - check  www.projectorcentral.com - lots of info there). Or use 1280x720(or800) projector.
For single projector you could run 1920x1080 off one computer, for the curved screen with 3 projectors it could be too big of single PC processor load  for FSX.  I would say most of people here with 3 projectors run 1280x800(or 720).

There will be no performance hit, comparing 1280x800(720) projector and you current 32" panel at 1360x768 resolution.

The advertised projector lamp life is typically in 2000 -3000 hours range, however it depends on display settings. The lamps are rather expensive, ~$180 -400, depending on the type. I just had to replace the failed lamp in my Optoma GT720 - found it online for $168.

Nick

Themax

Hello,

Thank you for the explanations  ;) I'll be switching back to only 1 view because as my setup is not a continious view but only front and left, I have to open 2 views in fs2004 and this causes very bad performance (I'm losing +-20 frames)...

And as I have not much room and a big window beside my front screen instead of going to a beamer I might chose another option : For +- the same price of a beamer go for a big 51" or more screen instead of my 32" now. For example this one :

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN51D450A2DXZA

I would keep my good screen quality, have a big screen covering my whole front window (no screen bezels), etc

I think that's the best solution in my case. I don't want to play with darkening the room, having to care about lamps, etc

Maxime.

XOrionFE

Hello Maxime,

Without starting a debate on projectors versus LCDs I want to share my experience as in your situation I think you are better served by LCDs.   As you may know I have a full cockpit with a 210 degree wrap around visuals using 3 Mitsubishi short throw projectors.   The immersion factor is awesome having it wrap around.   That said, if I didnt have that full wraparound I would ve very disappointed with the projectors as even though they are top notch quality DLP projectors a projector just cannot give the same clarity, sharpness, and level of detail that an LCD screen does.  In addition with one projector only (which I have tried in the past) you don't get even close to the immersion factor as you get with 3 and wraparound and you basically end up with the same view you have now only it is just bigger and much less detailed and sharp.  The ultimate setup to me would be LCDs curved around much like the redbird visuals or what Angus did with CRT's but using bezeless LCDs but alas that requires multiple computers using wide view and very expensive LCDs.

So in the end I think in your case the best would be the use of a Matrox Triple Head to go to give you a nice wide (though) not wrapped forward view across three large LCD monitors with the smallest bezel and highest contrast ratio you can find.   You won't have much if any performance hit using the Matrox, it is easy to setup, and you will get a beautiful sharp view that is much more immersive being so wide.

Here is a video of my setup for my desktop sim using 3 22" lcds and TH2Go when I was doing the Cessna Mustang.   Note that they cover the entire front and only 22" lcds.   32" ones would be great for a 737.

http://youtu.be/gfhA6kvbHw0

This was the best views I ever had and I have actually gone back to this for my current desktop sim.  I like the views much better than those that are in my 737 cockpit with 3 projectors.   Yes I lose the full immersion of the wrap but I gain all the great eye candy.  A nice compromise.

Scott

Themax

Hello,

thank you to share your experience and information  ;) So I'm decided I'll go for lcd instead of projector.

I'm only building a single side cockpit so I don't need a very wide view. I've calculated that with a 50" screen, my screen would be as large as my sim so that would be perfect. And a 50" is high enough to not see the bezels up and down, so my view can perfectly fit between the glareshield and roof of the sim, that already makes the immersion feeling better. This is my setup now with a 32" :

I may use 3 small screens with the triplehead but then I have 3 bezels around the screens + have to buy a triplehead. If I just change to a 50", I don't need to buy anything and the whole front view will be covered.

Thank you,

Maxime.

jackpilot

50 inches of TV real estate can fill up front windows pretty well
Here, the two screens are not even yet close side by side but the effect is real good...

Jack

Themax

wow, nice !  :) And I only have to fill 1 front window, I think it will be big enough  :P

Thank you,

Maxime.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate