Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

June 17, 2024, 12:18:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
115 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,642
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 115
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 115
Total: 115

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Beware of Ebay scam

Started by Maurice, July 27, 2012, 09:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice

I placed a $400.00 bid for a GTX 590 on ebay & I was immediately outbid. So I contacted the seller since he had a message at the bottom about a "Buy it Now price" of $400.00 and asked him if that was still valid, to which he responded yes and asked if he could send me a Paypal invoice. I said yes, paid for the item and 2 or so weeks later, I received a small box containing what looks like a used calculator worth nothing to me.

I have started a claim resolution on Paypal but I doubt I will get a refund since it was not really an Ebay transaction even though it originated on Ebay.

So, beware about doing any transactions that are not clearly 'legal' on Ebay. I thought that might have been legal because the original item I placed a bid on was still listed and so I assumed the vendor had other similar items which he had not listed on Ebay. Live & learn I guess  >:(

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

ivar hestnes

Really sorry about that Maurice. Not fun at all. Do you think you will b able to get the money back?

And please... post the seller here.

jetpilot

Maurice,
I believe you still have protection if you pay through paypal.
Just check with them.
Sorry to hear that
Roberto C

jackpilot

Claim claim
Any Ebay transaction is supposed to be OK.
Thanks for the head up anyway.
Please post the vendor's ID
JP

Jack

Maurice

The seller was 1999678. Yesterday, he had a similar item for sale but the item has been withdrawn now. Looks like he pulled a similar scam with a higher buy it now price this time (at the bottom of the listing).

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/EVGA-Corporation-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-590-3GB-/251116706829?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item3a77b8dc0d#ht_500wt_1226

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251101607613#ht_500wt_1226

Although I paid with Paypal and made a claim, I doubt I will ever get the money back since the sale did not go through as a regular Ebay transaction but we'll see.

Maurice

fordgt40

Maurice

According to the Paypal Terms and Conditions, it would appear that you are covered. Good luck to you and damnation to the b**t**d who ripped you off!

David

Joe Lavery

Maurice,

I had a look at that listing and have reported the seller, because the buy it now is obviously intended to work outside of eBay. That comes under their non conforming to listing practices.

Lets hope they chuck him off....  :( SCUM

Perhaps a few of the other guys could also report him, that may make eBay do something positive.

All the best and I hope you get your money back from PayPal.
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

iwik

Maurice,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Have you thought about emailing the last successful
bidder, the last person to buy from him was on the 12/7/2012. Ive had people on ebay
email re sellers. He might even have a return address of this guy.
Les

fordgt40

Les

Good idea, I had similar thoughts. That way you could get his actual address and then he cannot hide behind email anonymity

David

Maurice

Just an update. PayPal came through and refunded me the full amount  :) . Thanks to everyone for the words of support

Maurice

fordgt40

Maurice

Delighted to hear that. The good win out in the end :)

David

Joe Lavery

Excellent news Maurice, have they chucked the Bas***d off ebay? Did you get his address? perhaps we can all gang up, pay him a visit and remove his landing gear, permanently ;)

Joe
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

iwik

Maurice

Quote from: Joe Lavery on August 20, 2012, 11:45:04 PM
Excellent news Maurice, have they chucked the Bas***d off ebay? Did you get his address? perhaps we can all gang up, pay him a visit and remove his landing gear, permanently ;)

Joe

Well, his ID is no longer active. But I'm sure he'll resurface with a different ID since these low lives never die.

Maurice

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate